Wednesday, 28 September 2016

Trying New Things.

Trip to Godrevy Seal Colony with the Ecological Society

Walk at College Reservoir with the Expedition Society

Moth Trapping with the Ecological Society





Beach Cleanup


Freshers week started for me on the 12th of September and it really was a hectic week. If you've read any of my past posts you may know that I get anxiety about certain kinds of social situations and a big thing that I struggle with which doesn't really bother me anyway to be honest is going out drinking. So freshers week for me wasn't as predictable as you maybe would assume and it really scared me for my first few days because I was convinced that everyone around me would be drinking and going out constantly in the evenings. My first two days were mostly spent in my bedroom and I would pop out to run the occasional errand. However on the second night I found a freshers events list for my university and was shocked to see that the events weren't just parties, and there was in fact lots of other things for me to do during the day, in particular with societies.

I had barely spoken to anyone in my first day or so and it was really scary going to the first event which was a walk with the Expedition Society to a small village called Flushing. But straight away I was completely put at ease. It became apparent to me that everyone is in the same boat and everyone came out for a lovely walk of course but also to meet people. It was such a lovely afternoon and it just gave me so much reassurance that I wouldn't have to do this uni thing all by myself or in my bedroom for that matter. 

So I continued trying new things. Ok I have definitely been on a walk before but being in a society is alien to me and it's been a very long time since I have been in a club of any kind, so I continued my week doing different tasters and events to maybe discover a new interest of mine and to help me find my place more at uni. It meant I would be kept busy instead of getting worked up about finances or missing my family and I also would come back to my flat in the evenings feeling like I have made good use of my day. 

Two weeks later and I have signed up to four societies and cannot wait to do lots of different things in my spare time with them. I know not all of you reading this will be at uni or even thinking about university life, however if there's one thing I learnt in my first week that I want to share it's that there is so much more to do and see wherever you live, and it really is special to be a part of something that is something extra alongside your main focus. 

Is there anything you do in your spare time that I should try? Have you been to University and been in societies yourself?