Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Boat Trip To St. Mawes + Starting University!




It has been over a two weeks now since I moved into my accommodation and started attending university. So in today's post I thought I'd talk about how I'm finding university so far and I also wanted to share some photographs from a boat trip my class took last week to a village called St. Mawes. Which is a pretty little fishing village on the Roseland Peninsula here in Cornwall and is just across the estuary from Falmouth and Penryn which happen to be my home for the semester.

University so far is a crazy mixed bag and honestly it hasn't really sunk in yet that this is where I'm going to be for the next few months. It's still really exciting knowing that I'm finally starting my degree and living independently but both are equally scary and fresher's flu and homesickness definitely caught up with me in my second week. But I am now into my third week here and finally the mess of emotions and stresses in my head are starting to have some clarity to them, and I feel as though I am starting to adapt to my new environment.

In case you were wondering I am studying Press and Editorial Photography (BA) here at Falmouth University which was my first choice and my dream course and university that I had in mind, when doing my vast amount of research and uni visits in the year prior to my application. I chose the course because it is full of opportunities and resources to help me progress in working in the areas of photography I am most interested in. It's full on approach shall we saying to real life working practices which admittedly is already stressing me out a bit, is something I felt would really be beneficial in building my confidence which is something I don't have a lot of with my work even now. However I have to say I am still glad I chose this course and my hard work last year paid off. I have never felt like I have so many opportunities and resources and right now I'm not even sure where to start with it all but I'll get there.

For my first year I am living in halls and it is definitely shaping up to be an experience already. I'm learning not to get attached to anything I have put into our shared kitchen and to coexist with the amount of dirty dishes some of my flatmates leave around the place. I have also found that I am far more domesticated than most people and just how different people can be to be honest. I am finding that university is really good for meeting lots of different, interesting people and I guess it helps you be more tolerant of them as well especially if you don't get on with some of your flat mates, which so far mine are all fine.. phew. 

So that's all for this little update. I promise you I have other things to blog about I am just getting sorted with everything right now but I definitely don't want to neglect this space for much longer. Lets try aiming for at least one post a week and see what happens.