Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Pesto + Spinach Pizza Recipe.

The pizza lover in me is very much excited for today's post, as I have another pizza recipe to share with you all! I've already shared with you how I make my 10 minute pizza dough however after having the most amazing Papa Johns the other week, I suddenly realised the magic of putting pesto on a pizza (totally recommend their Mediterranean pizza btw). So I googled as one does for pesto topped pizzas and came across some very healthy suggestions. Normally that would completely put me off because I feel with pizza you go full on or you go home, but I decided to just try replacing the tomato sauce element of pizza with pesto and it ended up being beautiful. 

Fair warning if you don't like basil you probably won't like this, however the baby spinach that I've included was so subtle and the pesto and the mozzarella is just such a heavenly combination. I'm definitely going to be making this much more and it may even replace my obsession with my pepper pizza topping. So yes guys this is a good'un.

So here is the recipe in full... Please note that everything of course is optional, you can add whatever you want and if you'd prefer to use yeast in your dough and let it rise that is completely fine. This post is more me sharing the beauty that is pesto on pizza rather than anything else. 

Pesto and Spinach Pizza

Ingredients:
2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
1/2 Cup of Water
Olive Oil
Pesto
Spinach
1 Mozzarella Ball
Cherry Tomatoes (optional)
Garlic (optional)

1. First grease whatever you will be cooking the pizza on with a little oil (I use a griddle but any oven tray will be fine). Then in a mixing bowl add the water and a drizzle of olive oil into 1 cup of the flour and mix. Then add as much of the remaining flour as you need to make the dough none sticky (so you can roll it). Now roll out your base and put it onto your baking tray/griddle. If you want to make a garlic base simply grate a clove of garlic and knead it into your dough before rolling.

2. Next preheat your over to 200 degrees celsius/180 fan. Now spread your pesto onto your base. I only used a handful of spinach on my pizza but feel free to use as much as you have as it will shrink. To prepare your spinach put it on a microwave safe dish and cook it for up to two minutes. Then squeeze out any excess liquid and finely chop it and sprinkle over your base. Now add your mozzarella, tomatoes and anything else you want on your pesto pizza.

3. Finally put your pizza in the oven and it will be finished in 10 minutes! Told you it's quick.

Thanks for reading and good luck if you decide to make this, it really is delicious x