Sunday, 9 March 2014

14 Weeks of Fit #2 Healthy Snack Ideas


Being on a diet takes so much willpower for so many of us, not necessarily in the form of eating better foods but more resisting junk foods. Before I went on my diet whenever I would feel stressed or simply bored I would raid the chocolate cupboard and biscuit tin and before I knew it I had eaten a meals worth of snacks. Because doing this can steer you away from your diet path so easily I have put together a list of healthy snacks to fill your junk food cravings and inspire you all as I know eating healthy can seem boring and lack variation, but being on healthy diet is really what you make of it. So here are my healthy snack picks that I have been turning to when my cravings have kicked in.

Yogurt and fruit

If you have a sweet tooth like me this will definitely appeal to you, I tend to buy mixed berries and mix them with Greek yogurt but you can use whatever fruits and yogurt you prefer.

Banana and Peanut Butter

I got this idea from Missglamourazzi over on Youtube and it really is the tastiest snack and one I find myself eating most. Simply cut up a ripe banana and put some peanut butter on the side of your plate to dip it in.

Rice Cakes

I've always loved rice cakes, they are really low in calories and can be topped with anything to make a tasty snack, from cottage cheese and tomato to chocolate spread and hazelnuts it really is a versatile ingredient to keep in your cupboard.

Popcorn

Popcorn is another snack that is so low in calories and really tasty, it is also really fun to make if you cook it yourself.

Celery or Carrot Sticks with Hummus 

Hummus is one of the tastiest dips and dipping celery or carrot sticks into it makes for a really tasty fibre packed snack. 

Pistachio nuts

I personally chose pistachio nuts because they are tasty and have a much less calories then some however your can choose whatever nuts you prefer. If I'm going out for the day I'll take a small packet of pistachios with me to stop me buying unhealthy snacks out.

Fruit Smoothies

There are so many fruit smoothie recipes on the internet to try and they really are so tasty and filling. My favourite has always been strawberry and banana since a very young age.

Dried Fruit

I used to really hate dried fruit however recently I've been trying all the different healthy foods at my local supermarket and have really grown fond of dates and apricots.

So there are my healthy snack picks to replace snacking on junk food. My advice to stop eating rubbish food is to clear it out of your house and only bring the money you need to places where junk food is sold. And of course if you feel like you need to have a snack go for one above or simply grab a piece of fruit.

14 weeks of fit is a collaboration series I am doing with fellow blogger Fiona to help support and motivate those like ourselves who are trying to get in shape for the summer months. We're posting every Sunday until June about Diet and Fitness so be sure to check out Fiona's post for this week if you haven't already!

Thanks so much for reading, have a great day x